Applications for private meters to be read by Council are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, the Owners Corporation must submit a Water Service Application with a hydraulic plan that is prepared by a suitably qualified plumber or hydraulic consultant.
The following requirements apply:
- All flow through the master meter must also be metered through private (subtract) meters, such that the sum of flow through the master meter minus the sum of flow through the subtract meters is zero.
- Meters must be in good condition, of suitable quality and compatible with Council's Smart Metering Devices.
- All meters have the appropriate level of backflow prevention.
A Council officer will contact the plumber nominated on your water service application to inspect and confirm the existing private meter meets Council requirements. Meters not meeting these requirements will need to be upgraded by your plumber at your expense.
Following approval of the water service application, the process to have your private meters read by Council is as follows:
- Provide a signed letter from Body Corporate (signed by Body Corporate representative) confirming intention to transition to subtract-meter billing and agreement to pay all costs;
- Payment received by Council;
- Council staff inspect meters to record meter details and initial reading;
- Council staff commission Smart Metering Devices.
Please also note that once a Smart Metering Device is fitted on your water meter you are eligible to apply for Council’s smart metering service of $22* per year per assessment. See more information on Smart Metering and its advantages.
Please note plumbing and drainage inspection fees will apply.
Fees that apply:
*All fees are based on the 2020/21 financial year. View current fees and charges on Ballina Shire Council's website.
For more information call Council on 1300 864 444.