new water connections



If you are building a house or granny flat, or developing a dual or multiple occupancy, you will need to apply for a new water connection using a Water Service Application Form.  An installation plan showing the location of the connection must accompany the application as well as a hydraulic plan in some instances.

For new subdivisions, water meters will be installed at the termination point left by developer, which is indicated by the blue marker block onsite. Any variations to this will incur charges additional to the standard water service connection charge, to be estimated based on the information provided in the application.

Meters will be installed in accordance with our Water Metering Policy which provides that new meters in most cases:

Will be installed approximately 500mm to 1000mm inside the property boundary
Will not be installed below ground, in locked cabinets or behind high fences.

Water Service Application Form



You do not need to get your water disconnected if you are selling your property.

Your solicitor will arrange for a Section 603 Certificate from us.  This will allow for your water meter(s) to be read on a particular date and fees and charges will be calculated.

After the property settles all charges after that date will be sent to the new owner. 

If your property is connected to recycled water you must arrange a pre-sale inspection.  Your solicitor will note this requirement on your property’s Section 149 Certificate.

download the Dual Water Supply Certificate of Compliance Application Form

Our factsheets explain how recycled water affects you:

Factsheet 1 Recycled Water Frequently Asked Questions

Factsheet 2 Recycled Water Facts for Owners, Plumbers and Builders

Factsheet 3 Recycled Water Facts for the Real Estate Industry



If you are moving into or out of a rental property you do not need to advise us.  All water bills will be sent to your landlord.

new wastewaster connections


If you are building a house or developing a property that requires a new wastewater connection, the connection will be assessed as part of your Development and/or Section 68 application for the property.


There are no volume-based charges for wastewater on residential properties.

Charges are listed separately on your annual rates notices as 'Wastewater Charge Residential', and are paid with your other Council rates.


There are volume-based charges for wastewater on non-residential properties. Annual fees will vary, please contact Council for more information on 1300 864 4444.



All new residential homes in NSW must have a BASIX certificate.  BASIX (Building Sustainability Index) is a NSW Government initiative and provides a set of guidelines to ensure new dwellings are water and energy efficient. BASIX is implemented under the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act. 

If you are building your new home in a residential estate supplied with recycled water you will get BASIX points towards your BASIX certificate.

If you live outside of a recycled water supply area you will accrue BASIX points by installing an appropriately sized rainwater tank.

Check the BASIX website for more details

Rainwater Tanks

Installing a rainwater tank can save water. Rainwater can be used for watering the garden, washing your car, washing clothes or flushing the toilet.

The installation of a rainwater tank may be subject to Council approval and require a compliance certificate. Contact Council's Planning and Environmental Health Division for advice for your situation. 

Generally, if you are planning on installing a rainwater tank we have the following requirements:

  • the tanks need to be located in accordance with any approved plans
  • the rainwater tank must be installed according to the manufacturer's specifications
  • neither the tank nor associated excavation should have an impact on nearby or adjoining buildings or structures
  • the use of pumps associated with the rainwater tank should not be too noisy. Noise guidelines are set out in the Protection of the Environment Operations Act (POEO Act). You may need to insulate the pump facility to reduce noise
  • rainwater tanks installed above the ground will be at the rear or side of the yard/garden areas and screened from the street and from neighbours
  • all tanks must be clear of Council's sewer mains and other registered easements
  • a first flush diversion system must be installed
  • we recommend the rainwater tank be de-sludged at regular intervals, preferably annually
  • we recommend your roof gutters be kept clear of debris
  • all tank inlets and overflows should be covered with insect gauze to prevent insects and debris entering the rainwater tank
  • all plumbing works associated with the installation of rainwater tanks should be carried out in accordance with Ballina Council's Guidelines, Australian Standard 3500:2003 Plumbing and Drainage Part 1: Water Services and the NSW Code of Practice, Plumbing and Drainage
  • the plumbing pipe work associated with the installation of your rainwater tank and the connection of pumps can only be done by someone who has a current NSW Plumber's Licence
  • field testing and maintenance of backflow prevention devices shall be carried out in accordance with Australian Standard 2845-1993 Part 3: field testing and maintenance. NSW licensed plumbers must hold the necessary additional qualifications to undertake this work
  • where there is risk of cross-contamination between the rainwater tank and Council's drinking water supply, a suitable backflow prevention device is to be installed in accordance with the requirements of Ballina Shire Council.

You may be eligible for a rainwater tank rebate from Rous County Council.

Rous County Council rainwater tank rebates

fees and charges

For current water consumption charges, please visit the Water Billing page on Ballina Shire Council's website. 


Click here for all Council Forms

still not clear? ask crystal a question